Your choice of siding can affect both the look and the value of your home. A reputable siding installation contractor like Perfect Exteriors will only carry quality brands. However, even among those brands, not every kind of siding is a good fit for every house. You’ll need to know the difference before choosing one for your home renovation. Here are some pros and cons of four common siding materials:
Modern vinyl siding is a high-tech engineered material that has come a long way in recent decades.
- Relatively affordable.
- Comes in multiple colors and patterns.
- Color is part of the vinyl; does not flake off.
- Damage resistant.
- Easy to clean.
- Water resistant, not water tight.
- Can be dented and scratched.
- Thinner vinyl siding is less durable.
Engineered Wood Siding
Engineered wood siding uses real wood pieces bound in resin and treated for durability.
- Offers a more uniform look than hardwood.
- An environmentally conscious choice.
- Will not discolor like wood can.
- Due to the added products, it resists insect infestation.
- Looks more uniform and less natural than hardwood.
- Binders used may not be eco-conscious.
- Wood may not work for every home design aesthetic.
Metal siding, typically steel, is a durable and easy-to-maintain choice.
- Low maintenance.
- Resistant to extreme winter weather.
- Coated in compounds to inhibit rust.
- Resistant to insect infestations and fire.
- In the more expensive range of siding prices.
- Can be dented or scratched if hit hard enough.
- Steel siding rusts if scratches are not repaired.
Fiber Cement Siding
This rugged form of siding is a mix of wood pulp fibers and cement.
- A long-lasting siding solution.
- Does not rot or warp under wet conditions.
- Resists cracking and insect damage.
- Highly fire resistant.
- A more expensive siding option.
- Heavy and challenging to work with; requires experienced siding installation contractors.
- Paint coat may flake and need to be refreshed during the siding’s lifetime.
If you still aren’t sure which kind of roofing is right for you and your home, contact us at Perfect Exteriors today. Give us a call at 763-271-8700 or fill out our contact form for more information or a free exterior remodeling estimate. You’ll be in good hands; we have almost two decades’ experience serving residences in the Monticello and Maple Grove, Minnesota area. We’re looking forward to discussing your next home project with you!